Jul 2, 2008

Smiles for Sophie 5K

I'm hoping to do a 5K on the 4th of July in memory of a local girl who lost her battle with brain cancer last October. I came across the flyer on Tuesday and was immediately drawn into the what this little girls family must be feeling just a few short months after her passing. I want to reach out to her Mom and Dad and let them know I feel their pain and showing up as a complete stranger and running in her memory is perhaps the best way to do so short of giving them a big hug and crying with them. This is the first of what will be an annual event and even though each 4th of July (her birthday - 7/4/03) will bring with it the same heartache, I'm hoping memories from these races will bring joy to their lives and give them something to celebrate and look forward to each year.

http://www.smilesforsophieforever.org/events.asp

1 comment:

A. M. Mericsko said...

Good for you for doing this race! One of my friends from high school told me about this race because her daughter was in Sophie's play group. : ( I was going to make it to the race but had to work the parade in Parma on the morning on the 4th. I hope there was a large turn out!